Hello again dear readers, I apologize for missing last week. It’s been super busy at work. But we’re back at it this week! We’re crossing the state line into Alabama! This has quickly become one of our favorite trips on the bike. Next week’s destination ties into this one in what can be a lovely day ride or a fun weekend trip.
Our first destination for today is Little River Canyon. It’s also on Lookout Mountain but is in/near Fort Payne, Alabama. It’s a 15,288 acre preserve that protects what is said to be the nation’s longest mountain top river, Little River. The canyon is said to be the deepest east of the Mississippi. Prior to being handed over to the National Park Service, it was actually the southern-most part of Desoto State Park.
It’s said to be one of the cleanest and wildest waterways in the South. It’s undammed aside from a small and derelict hydroelectric project at Desoto Falls. The sandstone walls are up to 600 ft tall in places and can be seen from the 11 mile long Little River Canyon Rim Scenic Drive (AL176) which I HIGHLY recommend. We made a trip there just to drive the scenic parkway. It has many great pull offs with great views of the canyon and the state’s highest waterfall, Grace’s High Falls.
There’s a nice boardwalk from the pull off on the right side of the bridge you see here. You can walk around it down to the rocks where you will see people sunbathing and playing in the water. Just beware that you aren’t supposed to get within 100 ft of the top of the falls. This doesn’t stop people but be aware that if a ranger sees you, it’s a hefty federal fine, as this is a national park, not a state park. You can also walk across the bridge, as there is a fence diving off the walkway from the road.
There’s a pull off for Martha’s Falls (Hippie Hole) a little up from here that is a really popular swimming hole. I haven’t been there but from my understanding, it requires a small hike.
Have you ever been here? I’d love to see your pictures or hear about it!
- “one day you’ll make peace with your demons, and the chaos in your heart will settle flat. and maybe for the first time in your life, life will smile back at you and welcome you home.” -r.m. drake
- “I made my life an arrow, The tip a deadly sharpened point, So people never came so close, That I may disappoint, I’d sit and watch in silence, As the world would pass me by, Wondering how far I’d fall, If I ever tried to fly, You watched me with such interest, Like it was me you tried to find, As though you knew all of my secrets, And the thoughts within my mind, You looked like all the others, But what I did not know; Was while I’d made myself an arrow, You had made yourself a bow, And apart we’d both been useless, But we’d finally worked out why; Since you need someone to pull you back, If you ever want to fly, So you aimed me with precision, And I flew straight from the start, Until I landed with a solid thud, On the target of your heart.” – e.h.
- “Watch carefully, the magic occurs, when you give a person, just enough comfort, to be themselves.” – atticus
- “Books are many things; lullabies for the weary, ointment for the wounded, armour for the fearful, and nests for those in need of a home.” – Glenda Millard The Tender Moments of Saffron Silk
- “She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible. She walked with the Universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of wings.” – Ariana
- “do you remember the first time you were called annoying? how your breath stopped short in your chest, the way the light drained from your eyes, though you knew your cheeks were ablaze? the way your throat tightened as you tried to form an argument that got lost on your tongue? Your eyes never left the floor that day. you were 13. you’re 20 now, and i still see the light fade from your eyes when you talk about your interests for “too long”, apologies littering every other sentence, words trailing off a cliff you haven’t jumped from in 7 years. i could listen to your forever, though i know speaking for more than 3 uninterrupted minutes makes you anxious. all i was you to know is that you deserve to be heard. for 3 minutes. for 10 minutes. for 2 hours. forever. there will be people who cannot handle your grace, your beauty, your wisdom, your heart; mostly because they can’t handle their own. but you will never be and have never been “too much”. “- unknown
- “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead. Some come from behind. But I’ve bought a bat, I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me.” – Dr. Seuss
- “Every time they’re at sea, The oceans start to weep, wishing they were half as wide, As his love for her is deep.” – e.h.